50 Pounds for 50 Years

A journey from fat and unhealthy to lean and fabulous!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Supersize me??!!

I went out to dinner last night for the first time in a VERY long time. I had all my plans in place for good eating and they pretty much worked. For a slow carb I had an undressed salad, my fast carb was a roasted potatoe. My protein was a meat. The problem came when the waitress asked if I wanted the 12 oz or the 16 oz cut.
I really wanted a 4 oz cut because that's all I'm supposed to have. Now, conventional dieting wisdom says when faced with an overabundance of ounces and calories, cut the sucker in half and take it home for the next days' lunch or dinner.
My problem has always been that I don't listen enough to conventional wisdom and advice.
So, yes, I ate the whole thing and will pay for it today by exercising more. Still a plan.
Most people, I've observed, when asked if they want a size on food they're ordering ( "Do you want the supersized?") say yes immediately and choose the larger cut. I can't quite figure out the why to this.
Is it that they feel they are some how putting one over on the restaurant by getting more food than originally advertised? Do they feel entitled to the larger portion? Does the promise of more food make them silly with gustranomic glee?
When McDonalds first came out with their Supersize menu, I remember hearing a woman I know say that she was glad she could finally get a portion she really wanted. Apparently, in the past, she had ordered 2 large fries with her meals. Now she could supersize it, get just the one order, and she felt great about that.
I think I would just feel sick. I have never supersized anything with food because I always think I have more than enough.
Our society, tho, always seems to want bigger, better, faster, and more. And because of that we are turning into a nation of unhealthy obese people.
When the calorie and nutritional counts came out on fast food I really thought we'd see a decline in eating at these places.
No such luck. McDonalds, Burger king, and the like are all still doing boffo business despite the public knowing how much crap they are eating with their meals.
Go figure.
Americs the beautiful.
And Obese.

No comments:

Post a Comment