50 Pounds for 50 Years

A journey from fat and unhealthy to lean and fabulous!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why we eat

Yesterday I asked you to consider all the reasons you eat. And really, the only true reason we should eat is to fuel our bodies. We shouldn't eat because we're depressed, having a bad hair day, or because we're worried we'll pass a test. We shouldn't eat just because we're watching television or a DVD. We should never eat because we've had a bad day, the cat died, or a great pair of pumps got ruined in the rain or snow. I've eaten for all these reasons and hundreds more. There have been times in my life that food was my one and only friend. It was always available, never gave me any grief about stuff, and willing to share my day/year/life with full flat-out committment. Food has comforted me, tormented me, emboldened me and disgusted me. It's made me happy, sad, depressed, joyful, orgasmic ( just mataphorically!), satiated and satisfied. I've used food; abused food; delighted in it and purged it from my body. It's made me fat, thin, bulemic and for one brief time, anorexic. It's always been a part of my life and sometimes the only reason I liked living. I've used food to forget, to remember, to pass the time and to waste it ( or is that waist it?!). The longest relationship I've ever had is with food. It's been the most satisfying realtiohsip and the most destructive.
So, this is why I started this journey. I not only want to lose weight - don't we all?! - I also need to get this dysfunctional relationship fixed. For the past 5 weeks I've been very motivated and had success with looking at food the correct way - as food only. I am determined to keep plugging along so that one day soon I never look at or use food for any other reason but fuel, again.
Wish me luck and please pray for me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Peg, you're not alone in your response and experiences. I have a feeling you have just articulated what many, many people would be able to relate! This is hard work and you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete