50 Pounds for 50 Years

A journey from fat and unhealthy to lean and fabulous!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Protein,protein,protein.

Since starting the FOODLOVERSFATLOSS system, I have been ingesting alternate sources of protein in my daily diet through the use of Protein powder recommended by the program. Lately, I have noticed several changes in my skin, nails and hair that I think are directly related to increasing my protein. For several weeks, I have had to cut my nails at least two times a week, where as just a few months ago I could go for over a month and never even see a white line on them. In the past two weeks, several people have commented on how "good and healthy" my hair is looking,not to mention how long it has gotten in a relatively fast amt of time. I even had a patient ask me if I got hair extensions!! As for my skin, it just looks good. Enouch said.

This got me wondering. I didn't think I was a protein slacker before starting this program, but I probably didn't take in nearly the amt I needed each day.

The Harvard School of Public Health published a paper that says adults should get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein per kilo of body mass, so roughly 65 grams for a 160 pound person. In the Us, the article states, we get about 15 percent of calories thru protein each day. If you take in 2000 cals a day, that's 75 grams of protein. Not bad.

Believe me, I know I got nowhere that amount before this!

All protein is not the same I learned too. A 6 oz porterhouse has 38 grams of protein and 44 grams of fat. Six ounces of salmon has 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat. Less than Half! That's quite a savings in the calorie dept. So even tho I love steak, I realize fish and beans are better, calorically, for me.

Veges and beans are a great source of protein for low calories, so I'm still waiting for those vege recipes from people!!

Try and figure out how many grams of protein you take in in a day and see if you make the basic requirements. If not, an alternate source might help.

WHo knows. Maybe you'll get compliments on your hair and skin, too!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting compare between the steak and the salmon. I enjoy both but I wonder if the steak trumps from an iron perspective. I would think so but it would be good to confirm.

    ReplyDelete